The NWC has a standing resolution regarding complaints within groups, or between groups.

Please refer to the following advice:

  • If you have immediate concerns regarding the welfare of a native animal in care, please call your local wildlife care group, the RSPCA or your regional National Parks and Wildlife Office as a matter of urgency.
  • Anonymous complaints will not be considered.
  • Complaints regarding wildlife rehabilitation licensing issues should be directed to the NSW  Office of Environment and Heritage.
  • Complaints regarding the Incorporated Associations Act should be reported to the Police and/or advice should be sought from the NSW Office of Fair Trading.
  • Where there is conflict between individuals, the NWC recommends the group refer to their internal Conflict Resolution Policy.  The NWC can provide a model policy if one does not exist.